Christmas is just around the corner and if you’re looking for something easy-peasy to make and delicious to boot, try these out!
Now that you’ve seen how they’re done, here’s the recipe and “how-to”
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1 orange
1 1/2 cups pistachios (shelled)
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Heat oven to 350ºF.
2. In a stand mixer (or using a hand one, just a bit more difficult) fitted with the paddle attachment combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a bowl, beat eggs, yolks, vanilla and zest. Add to dry ingredients, mix on medium low until crumbly.
4. Add pistachios and cranberries and mix until sticky dough is formed (longer than I did in the video!!!)
5. Turn dough out onto well-floured counter; sprinkle with flour and knead slightly. Shape into 2 9-by-3 1/2-inch logs. Flatten a bit. Transfer to parchement-lined baking sheet and bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
6. Reduce oven to 275ºF.
7. On cutting board, cut logs on the diagonal into 1/2-inch thick slices. Return pieces, cut side down to baking sheet. Bake until lightly toasted, 10 minutes (20 if you prefer them hard) Turn over. Bake until slightly dry, about 10 minutes (20 if you prefer them hard). Cool on wire rack.
Store in air-tight container.